Monday, April 2, 2012

What does Femininity Mean?


 I often get asked, “Why don’t you wear make-up?” People are usually stunned when my reply is “I’m too lazy!” Or my absolute favorite question I get asked more often than I would like to is this: “why don’t you wear dresses and high heels?” I’ll admit it is indeed a rare sight if you spot me wearing anything other than jeans, a t-shirt, and zip up hood paired with the latest comfortable shoes, which has lately been either my moccasins or Toms. It is true: you usually will not catch me dressed in a short mini skirt or a dress unless it’s a very important occasion and I mean VERY.

I give my sincerest apologizes by stating I’d rather not trek in a pair of heels and a cute dress across the quad in the pouring rain, on muddy sidewalks, and puddles simply for the pure sake of beauty. I blame my lack of beauty etiquette on my rational mind of wanting to be warm and comfortable, shuttling from class after class rather than being cold with my bare legs exposed and uncomfortable in heels. I suppose I never really accepted the notion of “beauty is pain.” Honestly, why must I suffer to be perceived as beautiful or to simply look cute?

I admit I do like make-up, nail polish and the color pink as much as the next girl but I do not think these items equate or compose an authentic girl or woman. It is great if women enjoy getting dressed up or “dolled up.” However, it is not necessary in order for women to achieve the beauty that does not exist without the need of make-up as often as our culture and peers tell us. I hope that every woman and girl knows she is beautiful just as she is, without the need of layered make-up, dresses, countless of pairs of shoes and matching hand bags. Nor should women be perceived as tomboys if they choose to wear jeans and sneakers. Women should feel completely free in wearing whatever it is they feel comfortable wearing without their gender going into question.

I must point out that I don’t think there is anything wrong with wearing a dress or wearing make-up but I am suggesting that there should not be anything wrong with women who choose not to dress up daily nor should there be an unspoken measurement on our femininity. Our gender identities should not be based on how we choose to exercise our vanity but instead on how we feel about ourselves. (DeLisa Thomas)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment